[HBF] Beamish Stout

reini bert reinibert at yahoo.com
Mit Mar 28 09:00:27 CEST 2001

Dear Phil!

I couldn't say that Beamish Stout tastes smokey, it is
more - in my opinion - very good balanced in maltiness
and hop bitterness. In some way it's "sweet", even
compared to Murphy's Stout, which has a quite harsh
bitterness.

I was disappointed as well when I came to Ireland, I
cannot drink "lager" here, because they are so light
in flavour, aroma and alcohol, not the stuff I use to
drink in Austria/Germay/France and so on.
These lagers are, even they call Heineken, Calsberg or
what ever, fairly adapted to the irish market.
Irish people love to "drink". When they go out, they
call it "we are going out for drinkin'!". So they have
the need for beers which go down easy, light american
bud, coors light and so on.
They usually drink around 10 Pintsand don't go home
until the pub closes(1 Pint=568ml) and therefore it's
not so good for them, if the beers have around 5
Vol%alc.
Also the Duty on beer in IRL is measured by the amount
of alcohol in the beers and I can tell you, that's
what the breweries kill.
It is, for 5%alc, 1hl =78,25 IEP (=61 €), compared to
Austria, where it is around 24 €, and in Germany it's
even lower.
For my work here I brewed beers with 5%alc and the
irish people always were delighted about the alcohol
content. If you tell them about a beer you know, the
first question is "what is the percentage of alcohol".

Only brought some strange things to paper, beside
others, happening here in Eire.
slonta!
Reini