[HBF] Haltbarkeit Malz

Alan McKay alan.mckay at gmail.com
Do Sep 6 13:23:07 CEST 2012

Sorry for the English response but my German is getting very rusty
(and I have not yet had my coffee this morning)

The enzymes will certainly be active, but depending on how you stored
it the grain could be stale.   I've brewed beer with malt that old and
the final product was a bit lacking.  It made beer and everything
converted fine so the enzymes were working great, but the final
product just did not have the vibrancy of beer made with fresh malt.

I store my malts either in white bucket with a tight fitting lid, or
in doubled ziplock plastic bags (one bag inside another).  Both
methods are really good at preserving malt but 4 years seems to be
about the limit.   I've also brewed with 2 and 3 year old malt and it
was definitely not as far gone as the 4 year old stuff.  I still drank
the 4 year old stuff of course :-)  But it was noticably just not as
good.