[HBF] Bock questions

Gordon Strong strongg42 at hotmail.com
Fre Jan 30 18:32:35 CET 2004

Hallo,

I was referred to your list by my friend Alan McKay.  I hope you won't mind
a question in English.

I represent the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) in the US, and we
are currently revising the beer style guidelines we use in our homebrew
competitions.  I have a few questions about how to properly refer to
Bockbier in our guidelines.  I want to make sure our usage is correct in the
German language.  I have limited understanding of German, so please accept
my apologies if I say anything foolish.

1. Is Maibock only available in the Springtime, or can you find it during
other times of the year?
2. Do you refer to Maibock by other names?  Our current guidelines call it
"helles Bock", but I am concerned about gender agreement.  When you say
"Bock" and mean "Bockbier", is "Bock" then masculine (like Bock) or neutral
(like Bier)?  Do you call it "heller Bock", "helles Bock", "helles Bockbier"
or some other name?  Or do you even use these names at all?  If we call it
(in English) "Pale Bock", we can avoid the confusion.  Certainly, many of
these beers are labelled as "Maibock" in the US, so I'd want to use this
name as well.
3. When you use the term "Bock" does it imply the family of beer (bock,
maibock, doppelbock, eisbock), or the specific starkbier of 16-18 Plato that
is dark?  We call this beer "Traditional Bock" but I think I've seen it
labelled as simply "Bock" or "Bockbier".  Do you ever call this "dunkel
Bock" or another variation that uses correct gender agreement?

Please include me on any replies, as I do not subscribe to this list.

Danke,

Gordon Strong
strongg42 at hotmail.com

http://wine.msn.com/